what is a problem

Scott W Brim swb@employees.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:31:00 -0500

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 08:08:05AM +0100, Patrik Fältström allegedly wrote:
> On tisdag, nov 26, 2002, at 00:35 Europe/Stockholm, John C Klensin
> wrote:
> >To repeat (briefly) a point I've tried to raise elsewhere, under
> >what authority does the IESG claim the right to take "discuss"
> >positions on Informational document that do not specify
> >protocols, address issues that are included in WG Charters, or
> >suggest courses of action that could be harmful?  I can't speak
> >for others, but the reason I've been inquiring about an IESG
> >Charter is to get the IESG to identify the range and limits of
> >its authority and responsibility so that the community can
> >determine whether or not it agrees.
>
> My view is that IESG do very very little review of the Informational
> documents. But, this is of course one of the areas where discussions
> like this will help making things more clear.

I just tuned in on this.  I depend on the IESG to review and perhaps
block individual submissions which impinge on IETF issues.  I hope you
are not suggesting they stop doing so.  As for the range and limits of
its authority, I believe you can simply say that the IESG should review
submissions when they think there might be repercussions from
publication.