Issues that need addressing

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:18:39 +0100

--On tirsdag, november 12, 2002 09:15:02 +0200 john.loughney@nokia.com
wrote:

> Hi Harald,
>
>> third very clear topic....
>>
>> what should the IETF be doing?
>> ie what work to take on, what work to turn away, who decides that...
>
> I am not unhappy with the current state of affairs.  I think that the
> chartering process seems to be working, but I would suggest that we do
> some fate sharing between the IESG member accepting a new WG and
> the WG itself.  What I mean is that if someone does support a new
> WG, they need to be sure to engage in the WG process, at key points.
> I'm thinking of something along the lines of mentoring, etc.  This
> will ensure that the WG gets off to a good start and stays on track.

like a lot of other things ("transparency" among them), this seems to
translate into "more bandwidth".

I don't think I can get my ADs to work 100% more. So when we're done
identifying the problems, I'd like to work on getting more bandwidth
available.

(yes, I think I can get 30% more bandwidth out of them if I can arrange
their work more efficiently. The ID-tracker has removed enormous amounts of
frustration already, freeing up that space for other things. But I don't
think that will be enough to get where we want to be.)

                 Harald