IESG transparency

RJ Atkinson rja@extremenetworks.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:57:13 -0500

On Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002, at 02:56 America/Montreal, Harald Tveit
Alvestrand wrote:
> the reason I asked is that *somewhere*, there has to be stated an
> overarching purpose for the organization, which is the driver for the
> actual content of the IESG charter.

I could be confused, but I think the purpose of the IESG is "to manage
the day to day processes, Areas, and Working Groups of the IETF".

> If we put that into the IESG charter, we have to change it if we change
> substantially the way the IESG works.
>
> If it is on the outside, it may be more stable.

Having an IETF charter is not a substitute for having an IESG charter.
One of the reasons folks want an IESG charter is to have the IESG's
powers delineated (even if that is done broadly).  Right now there is
not a common, shared understanding of what powers the IESG has.

Ran