Issues that need addressing

RJ Atkinson rja@extremenetworks.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:33:09 -0500

On Monday, Nov 11, 2002, at 16:50 America/Montreal, Harald Tveit
Alvestrand wrote:
> third very clear topic....
>
> what should the IETF be doing?
> ie what work to take on, what work to turn away, who decides that...

My preference would be to alter the current process a bit to bias
it *against* creating new WGs.  So I'd like to see a process where
if the consensus at a BOF is "no WG needed" or "don't create WG",
then the IESG would not be permitted to create such a WG.  This is
a material difference from today, as IEprep WG's existence demonstrates.

At IEEE, it is harder to get a PAR (agreement to undertake new work)
approved.  That is part of how they manage their workload.  The
challenge is finding middle ground, neither too easy (as today) nor
too hard to undertake new work in IETF.

Ran