IAB issues

john.loughney@nokia.com john.loughney@nokia.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:57:32 +0200

Hi Ran,

> > I have also had conversations with IAB members who decry
> > the shape of the IETF and the cluelessness of the
> > participants.  And yet, in my opinion, if anyone is
> > responsible for leading the IETF membership out of our
> > cluelessness it should the IAB.
>=20
> What more would you suggest that we do ?

My 2 cents.  WGs are often forced to wander in the wilderness
for some time, get some sort of consensus and do practical
work.  Often, folks participate in the IETF because it is=20
their job & they may not be completely clueful about=20
prior art.  Anyhow, some of the work that they do may not
be in-line with architectural principles.  So, what I would
like the IAB to do is have a member occassionally help=20
some work groups apply the correct architectural principles
to the on going work.  It could be simple as a presentation
during a WG meeting on issues to consider - it could be
reviewing, at a early stage, key WG deliverables or
could be a presentation on key issues at the IAB plenaries.

John