IETF problem pinpointing - the followup

john.loughney@nokia.com john.loughney@nokia.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:44:30 +0200

Hi Aaron,

> > > - What are the issues we want raised during the problem-session?
> >=20
> > Transparency ...
> >=20
> > Accountability...
> >=20
> > Community support...
> >=20
> > Education & training...
>=20
> John-
>=20
> I like most of your suggestions (which I have elided) but I think the
> objective is to talk about the problems/issues before presenting
> solutions.  Only "Transparency" seems to be an issue, the others are
> fixes.  If we describe the fixes without agreeing on the problems, we
> won't get to a consensus on the 'right' fixes (and we may be overrun
> with possibly misguided 'helpful' suggestions).

Accountability is a problem.  Let me state it like this.  Work groups
work on on their charter items.  After months & years of work & =
consensus
building, a document is finally sent to the IESG after WG last call.
Suddenly, the work stops & the draft is sent back to the WG with cryptic
comments from unknown IESG member.  There is little possibility to ask
follow-up questions & there is no engagement by the IESG or IETF expert
to help the WG.  This is the problem I hear from many normal IETF =
members.
=20
John