IAB issues

avri doria avri@sm.luth.se
Wed, 06 Nov 2002 20:42:54 +0100

Hi Ran,

Thanks for you open reply.

This is pretty much what I though the IAB did.  And I had
read the intro.  Though I must admit I was surprised that
you did not approve charters.  I had thought that you applied
a modest amount of direction through the approval
of charters.

In some ways your answer reflects the point i was making.
the first thing you told me, is what you did not do -
you do not exert any power on the IETF.

We have spent a lot of time in this discussion talking
about the need for an architecture.
Or perhaps for a framework.  At any rate something that
guides the IETF clearly.  If we do need something like
that, who should be responsible?  Nominally at least,
I thought that is was the job of the Internet Architecture
Board.

I have read many of the IAB RFCs.  And some have been
very helpful.  But they always appeared to me to be
individual contributions of IAB members more then
the view of the IAB.  As for the workshops they are
interesting to hear the reports on, but I am not sure
what their real affect has been.

I have also had conversations with IAB members who decry
the shape of the IETF and the cluelessness of the
participants.  And yet, in my opinion, if anyone is
responsible for leading the IETF membership out of our
cluelessness it should the IAB.

I guess I am looking for the IAB to have a real job
to do in relation to the architecture.  I may be alone
in that.  If that is the case, we should rename the body
and stop pretending that they have a real role in
architectural  oversight.  If the role is not being
filled, then we should be clear about that.

I am not looking for the IAB to dictate from
on high.  What I am looking for them to do is understand
the architectural necessities of the engineering task that
needs to be done, and to explain those in such a way as to
focus the work of the organization on the areas that need
the most help.

I am not advocating a return to the days when the IAB ruled.
But I do think the pendulum did swing
a bit too far in the other direction. And perhaps it is
an educational and guiding role instead of a controlling
role that I am looking for.  But if we are going to fix
the problems we see, e.g. the lack of architectural coherence,
and we are going to do so without the creation of new layers
of management, then we have to use the structures and the
talents we have to their best advantage.

a.

--
Avri Doria
http://www.sm.luth.se/~avri/