A question about the role of the IESG

Jonne.Soininen@nokia.com Jonne.Soininen@nokia.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 01:06:25 -0800

Hi Dave,

sorry about the long delay in answering this mail. However, I guess I =
did not explain myself correctly in my first mail. I do have read at =
least some assorted documents from the ietf.org, but seems from your =
mail that I would have not read the correct ones... ;)=20

My experience (obviously not the same as yours) are from the IETF, and =
3GPP. There are many differences in these two organizations, and in =
their purpose. So, most probably one to one comparison would not be of =
much use as what works for one may not work for the other. So, I will =
not even try. However, I'll explain here where my comment came from:

In 3GPP, there is no appointed management like IESG, and IAB in the =
IETF. There is hierarchy, though. The work is done in two levels in =
Technical Specification Groups (TSGs) that coordinate Working Groups =
(WGs) Thus, the TSGs in some sense could be compared in the hierarchy to =
the level of IESG in the IETF. The main difference (in my mind) is that =
the TSGs are practically working groups. They are open to the whole 3GPP =
community. Anybody from 3GPP community interested in the work of a TSG =
can go to their meetings a affect the decisions. Both the TSGs and the =
WGs have a chairperson and one or more vice chairs. These are elected by =
the TSG or the WG in question - they are not appointed.=20

This was what I used in my mind as a comparison point. I do not want to =
start a huge comparison between the IETF, and 3GPP here. I do not think =
that brings us much. We would just end up in a rat hole about the =
philosophical differences of the organizations, which would not bring us =
any closer to the problems that we face in the IETF now. What I wanted =
to understand was, how did IETF end up with this structure that we have =
now. Though that IETF is an open organization some of the current =
procedures seem to be in conflict with the openness principle - at least =
to the untrained eye. Most probably there was a reason for this at the =
time of creation. I would just like to know what that reason was.=20

Cheers,

Jonne.

PS. Thanks for your article. However, I do not think it deals with the =
same issue that I was trying to raise.