Deciding between two choices

Carsten Bormann cabo@tzi.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:27:05 +0100

> [...] it's a decision, but [...]
> significant unhappiness [...]

That's maybe why we call it "rough consensus" and not "eternal bliss".

As a remote bystander, I was pleasantly surprised how smooth this
process was.

Remember the Megaco coin...

(For those who weren't there -- the text vs. binary decision in megaco
was done literally by flipping a coin.
Significant expressions of unhappiness later caused the chair to back
off from this decision, and then both variants were put in the standard.
For no discernible technical reason whatsoever.
*That* makes me unhappy.)

We need to remember to spend less time on the inconsequential decisions
that still have to be made.
((Solution space: Add coins to 2026bis (or use an RFC2777 style source
of verifiable randomness, if that makes people happier).))

We also maybe need to get more scientific in the decisions that do have
consequences.
((Compare the various candidate selection processes in ITU and IEEE.))
That approach certainly helped making some of the decisions in ROHC.

Gruesse, Carsten