Deciding between two choices

Melinda Shore mshore@cisco.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:01:31 -0500

> So, Melinda, I fail to see how midcom was "derailed" by the process
> you described.  This sounds like a fine example of the process the way
> it's supposed to work.  This is the rough consensus.

I would disagree with that - it's a decision, but it's one
that a significant portion of the working group participants
disagrees with and one in which there was probably
significant unhappiness with the process.  It's something,
but it's not consensus.  I checked with our area directors
before doing it and got agreement to go ahead, but this
isn't how the IETF is "supposed" to work.  I think that we
(the IETF) will be running into this problem more often in
the future rather than less often, and it raises the
question of whether or not we need some tweaks to the
decision-making process.

As for the rest, I think the jury's still out on whether or
not we're off the rails.  It may be sufficient to get a
couple of good volunteers to do the technical work, even if
many of the current participants choose to check out.

Melinda