Standards Classification and Reality Problem Statement (was Re: Not a problem statement [ was Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

Fred Baker fred@cisco.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:53:28 -0800

At 02:45 PM 12/13/2002 -0800, James Kempf wrote:
>The issue here isn't the perception
>that Informational documents are Standards, but rather that a WG ID will
>inevitably become the standard, without substantial modification in any
>form of
>its basic design and contents.

Hmm.

Is this a matter of frustration/concern? I thought that the reason we met
in working groups was to develop consensus documents that would support
interoperable implementation, which is to say "to become the standard".

If that's not the expectation, what in the world are we spending all this
time and aggravation trying to do?