Standards Classification and Reality Problem Statement (was Re: Not a problem statement [ was Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

James Kempf kempf@docomolabs-usa.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:45:55 -0800

> it's not obvious to me that all working group documents are standards
> track; many are informational. If there's a "preordination", it is that a
> PS from a working group is deemed to need less justification (2 week last
> call vs a 4 week last call) than a PS from an individual submission.
> However, the latter exist as well.

Sorry, I meant "all WG IDs which are Standards track are deemed to be
pre-ordained to become RFC". Informational track documents are, of course, not,
though some have the perception they are. The issue here isn't the perception
that Informational documents are Standards, but rather that a WG ID will
inevitably become the standard, without substantial modification in any form of
its basic design and contents.

            jak