Normative references (was: Re: Killing old/slow groups -transition thinking)

Frank Kastenholz fkastenholz@juniper.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:42:58 -0500

At 03:00 PM 12/13/2002 +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>John,
>
>In the RFC Ed queue I find 33 documents in the REF state, i.e.
>stuck waiting for a normative reference. That's out of just over
>60 documents which appear to be the standards/RFC track (that count
>is a little hard to establish).
>
>So, this is a fairly significant problem, although I can't deduce
>its effect on queuing time from the data. And fairly clearly,
>those 33 documents have all left the IESG.

I don't know how you can say that.
One data point does not a trend make...

How long have the documents been sitting there?
What document(s) are they waiting for?
Why are those documents late?
How long till the one's they are waiting for pop out?
What has been the historical size and shape of the REF queue?

Frank