Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Jonathan Rosenberg jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:57:05 -0500

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
 > I am FAR from smart on the topic, but my impression is that one
 > common reason to advance beyond PS is because you're being pointed to
 > by another SDO (SIP, for example).

3gpp did not require SIP to be at draft. The recent revision (to
rfc3261) cycled at proposed and that was just fine for them. They even
use some informational documents. I suppose it depends on the SDO.

My two cents on the PS/DS/S process. One of the problems in going to
draft is, AFAIK, all normative references must also be at draft
standard. THis makes it very hard for documents with many references to
go to draft. Supposedly, if you reuse other IETF work, you'll have many
such references. Indeed, several "core" RFCs that many protocols are
likely to cite normatively, such as RFC 2234 (BNF) and RFC 2396 (URI)
are both at PS. ALthough I believe both are in the process of advancing,
it does mean that, until they do, no protocol that uses the IETF
standard for BNF, for example, can go to draft.

Now, if you should happen to reuse any security protocols (S/MIME, TLS,
etc.), many of which are also at PS, you have no hope of advancing for
sure.

The result is a bar for DS that is unachievable for many protocols. We
want to work on taking SIP to DS in the next revision, but there are too
many normative references at PS, I expect it will never happen.

Now, is this characteristic of the process a feature or a bug...

-Jonathan R.

--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor