Longer or more meetings?

John C Klensin john-ietf@jck.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:47:02 -0500

--On Tuesday, 10 December, 2002 09:35 -0500 Scott Bradner
<sob@harvard.edu> wrote:

>> Is it really realistic for someone to serve on the IESG, for
>> instance and do a full job elsewhere?
>
> no
>
> the nomcom tells prople who are being considered for an IESG
> role that it is about a half time job
>
> companies that employ IESG & IAB members need to assume that
> these people are spending real time on their IETF
> responsibilities and that the companies support this.

"full", no (i.e., I agree with Scott).  Around half, by
contrast, is plausible enough that many companies have had
expectations of getting some day-job contribution out of IESG
(and IAB) members.  Having tried being an AD with a day job, and
watched others try it, anyone trying to do IESG as a "half time"
job likely to get used to 60 and 80 hour weeks.

The IETF and IAB chair positions are, as far as I can tell, very
nearly full time jobs with the former being somewhat worse than
the latter.

    john