Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Marshall Rose mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:19:47 -0800

> Small comment.  TSVWG usually gives an Area Review once a year, usually
> during the Autumn IETF.  This is a Good Thing, as it helps everyone
> to see the landscape and how things are fitting together.  I do not
> know if the other areas do this, but it may be a good thing to expand.
> One problem with your proposal would be if it ends up being handled like
> current IESG reviews of documents.  It sometimes seems as if the IESG
> is unaware of a document (and the WG is unaware of how the IESG feels
> about a document) until it is under IESG review.  Your proposal could
> create a similar problem, if not handled correctly.  I think rather
> than having a '18 month or wack' approach to management may not help.
> Having some sort of yearly review by the ADs (or yearly self-justification
> by the WG chair) may not be a bad thing.

the apps area isn't that rigorous, but does something a bit similar at each
meeting.

i can certainly live with a yearly AD review with zero-based accounting, even
though it requires more IESG involvement, which has both pluses and minuses...

/mtr