Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

john.loughney@nokia.com john.loughney@nokia.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:51:16 +0200

Hi Marshall,

   =20
> first, the PACT I-D gives WGs an 18-month timer to get their first I-D
> past the IESG. (personally, i think that 18 months is too long, but i
> guess i'm not as kind-hearted as others.) but the idea is=20
> that a WG that
> needs to be able show it can produce something in the "short-term".

Small comment.  TSVWG usually gives an Area Review once a year, usually
during the Autumn IETF.  This is a Good Thing, as it helps everyone
to see the landscape and how things are fitting together.  I do not
know if the other areas do this, but it may be a good thing to expand.
One problem with your proposal would be if it ends up being handled like
current IESG reviews of documents.  It sometimes seems as if the IESG
is unaware of a document (and the WG is unaware of how the IESG feels
about a document) until it is under IESG review.  Your proposal could
create a similar problem, if not handled correctly.  I think rather
than having a '18 month or wack' approach to management may not help.
Having some sort of yearly review by the ADs (or yearly =
self-justification
by the WG chair) may not be a bad thing.

br,
John