Longer or more meetings?

Henning Schulzrinne hgs@cs.columbia.edu
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 10:16:51 -0500

Other SDOs, such as W3C, rely much more heavily on teleconferences,
typically weekly. With modern web-based meeting support tools (shared
whiteboard, shared slide viewing, text chat for questions, etc.), these
can be fairly effective. They also avoid the "selection by travel
budget" problem that you do not mention below.

One should also note that other SDOs typically have schedules and
deadlines that mean something. It doesn't mean that things get approved
when the buzzer sounds, but it does mean that the WG is expected to
produce results on a definite day. It's apparently not uncommon that,
say, IEEE output gets voted down or has to go through a second
iteration, but at least it doesn't drag on forever.

In the SIP* working groups, the externally imposed hard deadline
(courtesy of 3GPP) had, in the balance, a healthy effect. The document
got produced at the 98% quality level, and it probably got produced one
year earlier than it otherwise would have been. Among other things, it
forced an efficient discussion style - file open issue, discuss, close,
next. No interim meetings were needed.

At least in W3C, keeping things on schedule is a lot easier since each
WG seems to work on one (master) document. I think that's true for IEEE
as well. It's a lot easier to see progress, or lack thereof, on one
document than on half a dozen or more, where discussion on the mailing
list flits back and forth at random and where each topic gets five or
ten minutes of discussion/presentation time three times a year.