Longer or more meetings?

John C Klensin john-ietf@jck.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:24:30 -0500

(this is substantive, so I'm starting a new thread)

Based on Randy's comments, Jari's, and a few others, let me
suggest another strawman.  Note that I'm not at all sure this is
a good idea, but it probably belongs on the table.

Problem: Face time of a few hours three times a year is not
sufficient to make progress.  Many WGs discover that they need
interim meetings to really move forward.

Suggestion: Insist that WGs conduct interim meetings so they
could face off in day-sized units, not slots of an hour or two
duration.  At area option, cluster these interim meetings into
several-day sequences, with overlaps and sequences to be
determined by the ADs.  Cut full IETF meetings back to once a
year, and focus their schedule around interactions,
cross-fertilization, and cross-checking within and between areas
and on issues of IETF-wide importance.

Possible downsides: This might push us toward professional
standardizers.  It might reduce the quantity and quality of
input from folks with wide perspective.  It might effectively
kill the notion that we do most of our work, and all of our
consensus-determination, on mailing lists rather than in
meetings.  We might easily slip into a model in which WG
meetings were attended by working engineers, but that IETF
meetings were attended only by professional standardizers,
"process experts", and general-purpose go-ers.  It should be
noted that some of the standards bodies whom we often deprecate
use a model roughly similar to this and have fallen into those
patterns.

If we need broad coordination more than annually, e.g., if we
have WGs that need inter-area examination and interactions but
that are likely to complete their work in 12-18 months, this
could be a real quality disaster.

Possible useful side-effect: if we made it clear that we expect
ADs to get to most of the interim meetings of their WGs, it
would provide a powerful incentive to them to keep the number of
WGs in their areas small and of brief duration.

Is this worth thinking about?

     john