Selecting leadership, take 2

John C Klensin john-ietf@jck.com
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:29:09 -0500

--On Thursday, 05 December, 2002 22:52 -0800 Dave Crocker
<dhc@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> Does draft-huston-pact list any problems that you disagree
> with?  Does it suggest changes that you disagree with?

Dave,

I wrote a long note on this subject, and circulated it to the
IETF list, before the Atlanta plenary.  To summarize that note
at the level of your questions, while there are a number of
ideas (problems and/or changes) with which I agree, and other
things that I believe need significant tuning,

   Yes.  And Yes.

Geoff wrote a thoughtful and helpful response to part of my
note.  While I disagree with him on some of the points that he
raised, I have deliberately avoided responding so far in the
hope that others would step in, rather than having it turn into
a two-person dialogue.  So far, no one else has.  I have gotten
no reaction at all to the suggestions in that note, other than
several private notes expressing sympathy or agreement.

So, for you and anyone else who likes the "there is one document
out there, its suggestions should go forward unless there is
specific dissent" approach:

	Does my note list any problems that you disagree with?
	Does it suggest changes that you disagree with?

I personally don't consider that a good way to proceed, and
believe it is completely inappropriate when explanations of
specific points of disagreement have already been posted and not
discussed, but opinions presumably differ on those points.

And I suppose I should go turn my note into an I-D.

regards,
     john