Selecting leadership, take 2

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:49:14 +0100

ok, talking to people does tend to give perspectives.

the nomcom chair has assured me that he thinks adding this to nomcom's
agenda will disrupt their schedule, add to their burden and be generally
bothersome.

people on this list have indicated that they think that picking someone
quickly is a good idea.

people (some on this list) have told me that I don't get to duck the
responsibility no matter what I do, but I can ask anyone for advice.

some people have pointed out that it's not exactly clear what I want that
someone to volunteer for

and some people have suggested names.

so here's a suggestion:

- we focus on a leadership role for the "problem description" phase - from
  now on until San Francisco.

- we formally state intent to charter this as a working group
  One work item for the group is process for picking leadership of the
  next phase.

- I write up a "role description" and post it on ietf-announce

- People can send me names. I can verify whether or not they will be willing
  to do the job.

- I ask the nomcom chair for advice. He can ask his committee if he wants
it.

- I make the selection, based on the advice I get.

Queries:

- Make the nominee list public? (see nomcom wg's archives for pro-et-contra)

- Timing? Is 2 weeks from now enough time to do this?

the thing has the property that we can spend infinite energy on deciding on
a process, instead of using the process to focus on the problems...

                   Harald