I-D ACTION:draft-blanchet-evolutionizeietf-suggestions-00.txt (fwd)

Spencer Dawkins sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:42:22 -0600

Just a follow-on...

>3. Problem Statements and Suggested Solutions
>
>   o  P1: WG chairs that do not understand the process cannot use the
>      tools available to them most effectively, and may bias or delay
>      the outcome of the process.
>
>         S1: WG chairs MUST be formed and know the details of the
>         process.  New wg chairs MUST attend to wg chair "course"  on
>         their first IETF meeting as chairs

OK, I may have attended more WG chair training sessions than anyone =
except Jeff Schiller and Steve Coya (who present them), BUT ... the "new =
working group chair" slides change (almost?) every IETF, and most =
working group chairs only see them once. I've been to a number of =
training sessions, and always learn something new.

I heard two points in Atlanta - people griping about things that were =
being added to the process with minimal awareness by working group =
chairs, and people noting how few of the working group chairs actually =
knew most of the other working group chairs, especially outside their =
own area.

Solve problem P1, AND the two points I overheard, by holding working =
group chair training meetings that provide pointers to changes since the =
last IETF ("standards-track IDs must use boilerplate A", to use an old =
example), and then break into open discussion and meet-me?

And in Atlanta, Margaret Wasserman did a first-time presentation of =
"things to remember" for WG chairs based on what she's doing in v6ops. =
It was terrific, but only about ten people saw it in the training =
session...

Spencer