Request for MIME media type Application/Standards Tree

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu Apr 22 11:10:13 CEST 2010

* Adriano.Santoni wrote:
>Il 21/04/2010 12:48, Bjoern Hoehrmann ha scritto:
>> Note that the field is named "Applications that use this media type". I
>> would prefer a more specific reference to the kinds of applications in
>> question (do the TimeStampedData-using applications have anything in
>> common?)
>
>TimeStampedData-using applications are (normally, but not necessarily)
>digital signature applications, either interactive or unattended. To the
>extent that this media type is concerned, the only thing they have in
>common is the need to generate and/or update and/or verify
>TimeStampedData envelopes. In addition to that, the file association
>(based on the registered file extension) would allow desktop managers
>(under Windows, Linux, ecc) to automatically open such files with the
>proper application by just double-clicking on the icon. In addition to
>that, a media type would allow those envelopes to be exchanged via HTTP
>and e-email messages in a way that would allow browsers and email client
>to "know" how to deal with such content.
>
>So, what you suggest me to write in reply to "Applications which use
>this media:" ?

I haven't looked at TimeStampedData in that much detail, if there is no
better classification as the one your template had, then that one is
fine. Generally the field should give people an idea like "Oh, this is
for network management" or "Oh, this is for Office applications", or
"Ah, a graphics format". Quite possibly the type here escapes this kind
of classification.