Request for MIME media type Application/Standards Tree

Adriano.Santoni adriano.santoni at actalis.it
Thu Apr 22 08:52:04 CEST 2010

Bjoern,

thank you for your comments.

I realized that - according to RFC 4288 - I have to write another RFC
for this registration, because the already published specification (RFC
5544) was lacking the media type registration. So I am going to post an
I-D soon.

I agree with all of your remarks, but I am not sure what you mean by the
following one:

Il 21/04/2010 12:48, Bjoern Hoehrmann ha scritto:
> Note that the field is named "Applications that use this media type". I
> would prefer a more specific reference to the kinds of applications in
> question (do the TimeStampedData-using applications have anything in
> common?)

TimeStampedData-using applications are (normally, but not necessarily)
digital signature applications, either interactive or unattended. To the
extent that this media type is concerned, the only thing they have in
common is the need to generate and/or update and/or verify
TimeStampedData envelopes. In addition to that, the file association
(based on the registered file extension) would allow desktop managers
(under Windows, Linux, ecc) to automatically open such files with the
proper application by just double-clicking on the icon. In addition to
that, a media type would allow those envelopes to be exchanged via HTTP
and e-email messages in a way that would allow browsers and email client
to "know" how to deal with such content.

So, what you suggest me to write in reply to "Applications which use
this media:" ?

Adriano