Registration of media type application/its+xml

Felix Sasaki felix.sasaki at fh-potsdam.de
Wed Apr 21 13:54:37 CEST 2010

2010/4/21 Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net>

> * Felix Sasaki wrote:
> >MIME media type name:
> >    application
>
> The registration is based on an obsoleted template. Could you resubmit
> it using the RFC 4288 template? (In particular, the field names have
> changed, and some fields have been split into multiple fields).

Yes, will do.

> >Applications which use this media type:
> >    This new media type is being registered to allow for deployment of ITS
> >1.0 on the World Wide Web.
>
> This should give an idea what kinds of applications use the media type
> (revision control software, word processing software, ...)

Propose to add: "ITS 1.0 information can be used e.g. by localization tools
to extract localizable units (e.g. text strings) as an input to the
localization process."

> >Additional information:
> >    File extension:
> >        its
> >    Fragment identifiers:
> >        A syntax identical to that of "application/xml" as described in
> IETF
> >RFC 3023.
>
> RFC 3023 does not define fragment identifier syntax for application/xml.

OK - I propose to leave the "Fragment identifiers" part out.

> >    Base URI:
> >        As specified in IETF RFC 3023, section 6.
>
> RFC 3023 does not actually say something relevant here, for example, it
> is unclear whether xml:base is considered for application/its+xml.

OK.

> I do note that it is not actually clear to me what documents would be
> labeled with this type, for instance, what would be the root element of
> such documents?

Any XML document containing ITS 1.0 "its:rules" elements can be labelled
with application/its+xml. At
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/EX-link-external-rules-2.xml
you see an example of a document linking to a file with ITS 1.0 "rules". The
link target is at
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/EX-link-external-rules-1.xml
as you can see the link target does not have "its:rules" as a root element.
The processing semantics here is that linked rules are gathered in document
order.

Felix