Potential media type registration: application/metalink4+xml for Metalink Download Description Format

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Apr 21 13:09:00 CEST 2010

* Anthony Bryan wrote:
>From http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryan-metalink

I take it this is currently in AUTH48, according to the data tracker.

>application/metalink4+xml MIME type
>
>   A Metalink Document, when serialized as XML 1.0, can be identified
>   with the following media type:

(I note this would preclude using XML 1.1 for it, but that might be a
moot point nowadays, given recent changes to XML 1.0).

>   MIME media type name:  application
>   MIME subtype name:  metalink4+xml

This is based on an obsoleted template; it should use the RFC 4288
template (note the field names there).

>   Mandatory parameters:  None.
>   Optional parameters:
>      "charset":  This parameter has semantics identical to the charset
>         parameter of the "application/xml" media type as specified in
>         [RFC3023].
>   Encoding considerations:  Identical to those of "application/xml" as
>      described in [RFC3023], Section 3.2.
>   Security considerations:  As defined in this specification.
>      In addition, as this media type uses the "+xml" convention, it
>      shares the same security considerations as described in [RFC3023],
>      Section 10.
>   Interoperability considerations:  There are no known interoperability
>      issues.
>   Published specification:  This specification.
>   Applications that use this media type:  No known applications
>      currently use this media type.

This should be something like, file transfer applications.

>   Additional information:
>   Magic number(s):  As specified for "application/xml" in [RFC3023],
>      Section 3.2.
>   File extension:  .meta4
>   Fragment identifiers:  As specified for "application/xml" in
>      [RFC3023], Section 5.

RFC 3023 does not actually specify fragment identifier semantics.

>   Base URI:  As specified in [RFC3023], Section 6.

RFC 3023 does not specify base resource identifier processing rules, and
in this form it is confusing whether e.g. xml:base is considered when
processing metalink documents.