Request for slightly expedited review of media types in draft-mraihi-inch-thraud

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Apr 21 12:10:16 CEST 2010

* Polk, William T. wrote:
>10.1.              Media sub-type
>
>       Type name: application
>
>       Subtype name: thraud+xml
>
>       Required parameters: none.
>
>       Optional parameters: same as the charset parameter of
>       application/xml as specified in [RFC3023].

This should be something like

  Optional parameters: 'charset': same as the charset parameter
    of application/xml as specified in [RFC3023].

>       Encoding considerations: same as encoding considerations of
>       application/xml as specified in [RFC3023].
>
>       Security considerations: this registration has all of the
>       security considerations described in [RFC3023] in addition to
>       those in section 9, above.

I think this would read better if you change the order (you start with
the generic security considerations and then add new ones).

>       Interoperability considerations: this registration has all of
>       the interoperability considerations described in [RFC3023].

If there are no known interoperability issues with the new type, it
should mention that, for example, "None beyond those in ...".

>       Published specification: the media type data format is defined
>       in this specification.

You might consider using "RFC XXXX (this document)" or somesuch instead.

>       Applications that use this media type: transaction and
>       authentication fraud analysis and reporting applications and
>       risk-based transaction and authentication evaluation
>       applications.
>
>       Additional information
>            Magic number(s): none
>            File extension: .tfi
>            Macintosh file type codes: none
>
>       Person and email address to contact for further information: D
>       M'Raihi, dmraihi at verisign.com

It is customary to use the syntax "Name <address>".

>       Intended usage - LIMITED USAGE

"LIMITED USE" is the correct phrase here. (Also note the formatting
problem, it should use a colon, not a dash).

>       Restrictions on usage: thraud media are intended for no usage
>       other than the exchange of fraud intelligence data.

Given that all media types are intended only for some purposes, I do not
think this should be here (or if there is some particular restriction,
it should be discussed in greater detail).

>       Author: D M'Raihi
>
>       Change controller: D M'Raihi

This should be "The IESG." considering that it is a registration in the
standards tree.