proposed media type: application/exi

Mark Baker distobj at acm.org
Fri Oct 17 15:26:29 CEST 2008

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Martin Duerst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> It seems you are saying:
> 1) application/xml (and text/xml) was a bad ide

That's correct.

> 2) the +xml suffix was a bad idea

No, just that the value has been minimal.  It has not caused any harm
that I'm aware of.

> 3) For EXI, application/exi is not needed,

Right.

> and a +exi suffix is
>   not needed, because EXI will not be popular.

That, plus the value of the +xml suffix has been minimal.

> As for 1) and 2), can you tell us what YOU think would be best?

For 1), that format-specific media types be used.  For 2), I lean
towards not using a suffix, but won't argue vociferously against it
should the WG want it.

> As for 3), please note that there is no need for a format to
> be (or expected to going to be) popular in order to register
> a media subtype.

Of course.  The popularity argument only concerns the suffix.

Mark.