proposed media type: application/exi

Carine Bournez carine at w3.org
Thu Oct 16 22:55:47 CEST 2008

Hi Martin,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:28:51AM +0900, Martin Duerst wrote:
> At the moment, just a questions:
>
> Given that there are many types of the form application/foo+xml,
> will we see proposals for application/foo+exi in the future?

The Working Group has evaluated the various solutions for
content type management, including a +exi suffix mechanism.
We feel that whenever possible the original media type (e.g.
image/svg+xml, application/rdf+xml...) should be used along
with a content-coding indicating the EXI encoding.
However, since the content coding feature is not available for
all protocols, the application/exi media type is needed in
other cases.

(see http://www.w3.org/TR/exi/#mediaTypeRegistration)