Registration of media type FO and ZFO

Jakub Hytka hytka at 602.cz
Tue Jun 10 09:22:45 CEST 2008

Mark Baker napsal(a):
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Jakub Hytka <hytka at 602.cz> wrote:
>
>>  Type name: application
>>
>>  Subtype name: Vendor Tree - vnd.software602.filler.xml+form
>>
>>  Required parameters: None
>>
>>  Optional parameters: None
>>
>>  Encoding considerations: UTF-8
>>
>>  Security considerations: FO is a XML-based plain text format, secured by
>> signing the file itself through the means of the XML Signature standard.
>>

> So the file is digitally signed, but in what form?  That you say UTF-8
> suggests it's some sort of text based form, no?
>
> The "+" convention also isn't necessarily intended to be reused
> outside of the context of XML, so "xml+form" won't mean anything to
> anybody.  You could save a few characters and just use "form".

As it is stated there, it's a UTF-8 encoded plain XML file, which is
digitally protected using the XML signature standard, which means the
XML structure is embedded in the XML Signature tags containing the
digital signature description.

The "+" convention we wanted to use just to make the mime subtype
description a little bit clearer on what's really inside the "form", in
this sense describing that it's a XML file.
>>  Type name: application
>>
>>  Subtype name: Vendor Tree - vnd.software602.filler.xml+zip+form
>>
>>  Required parameters: None
>>
>>  Optional parameters: None
>>
>>  Encoding considerations: UTF-8
>>
>>  Security considerations: ZFO is a XML-based plain text format packed using
>> the ZIP archive algorithms. The XML content is secured by signing the file
>> itself through the means of the XML Signature standard. The ZIP file itself
>> can be protected in the usual way by setting up a password.
>>

> Similar comments apply here: the inclusion of "xml" and "zip" add no
> value AFAICT.
>
> This one seems quite clearly a binary format though.  You can just say
> there's no encoding considerations.

This is indeed a binary zipped archive, which includes the FO file
basically. Therefore the encoding coniderations here i also entered
UTF-8, however as you say, this may be avoided.
> Mark.

Jakub