Media Type Registration for OCF (application/epub+zip) - Review of Informational RFC

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Sun Sep 9 15:10:58 CEST 2007

--On Friday, 07 September, 2007 17:27 -0400 Nick Bogaty
<nbogaty at idpf.org> wrote:

> 2. The currently adopted OCF standard uses a MIME type of
> "application/epub+zip". It would be difficult to change that
> as it has already gone through a standard adoption process and
> is used in commercially released products.

It is up to the IESG as to what to do about this.   While I
personally generally prefer registration of something that has
already been deployed to non-registration and the risk of
confusion, many of us would consider establishing a precedent
for either arbitrary "+foo" form, and "+zip" in particular, to
be a very bad idea.  I comments from others on this list would
be welcome.

For future reference for IDPF and others, it would have been
much better to have consulted this list about choices of names,
etc., before this name was deployed.   The "+xml" form,
including that used in "oebps-package+xml", is well-established
and has fairly specific semantics (to which oebps-package+xml
appears to conform).  There is no such arrangement for "+zip"
or, for some very specific reasons, any other compression scheme.

regards,
   john