Media Type Registration for OCF (application/epub+zip) - Review of Informational RFC

Nick Bogaty nbogaty at idpf.org
Fri Sep 7 23:27:17 CEST 2007

Dear Mr. Klensin,

Thank you for your comments and I apologize for the continuing confusion
around this registration. I will follow this email with a re-submission of
our registration for OCF. To your points:

1. The IDPF is a recognized standards body which has produced industry
standards for the electronic book business since 1999 when it released the
Open eBook Publication Structure. Our process includes development of
standards within Working Groups, series of public review periods, IP review
periods and, finally, membership voting. These processes are documented in
the organization's Bylaws, Policies & Procedures, Anti-Trust Policies and
Intellectual Property Policies which can all be found at:

http://www.idpf.org/doc_library/corpdocs.htm

The specific output process for OCF is documented at
http://www.idpf.org/ocf/output/index.htm and a full record of public
(non-IDPF member) comments and IDPF responses can be found at:

http://www.idpf.org/ocf/ocf1.0/download/Container_Comment_Responses_Combined
.doc

It should also be noted that a previous and recent application for
"oebps-package+xml" http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4839.txt was submitted and
approved under the standards tree in April 2007.

2. The currently adopted OCF standard uses a MIME type of
"application/epub+zip". It would be difficult to change that as it has
already gone through a standard adoption process and is used in commercially
released products.

3. This is my error. The correct registration template is
http://www.idpf.org/draft-conboy-mime-ocf-00.txt. I apologize for the
confusion.

4. Again, the template was forwarded in error. The correct template is
http://www.idpf.org/draft-conboy-mime-ocf-00.txt. With our submission to
internet-drafts at ietf.org, we are attempting to have this document posted as
an Internet-Draft. One of the options cited on
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html is for the Internet-Draft to
"be sent as an attachment to the email, or the email may contain a URL which
points to a copy of the Internet-Draft stored on a server." We are
attempting to post pointing to a copy on our server at
http://www.idpf.org/draft-conboy-mime-ocf-00.txt.

I apologize for the confusion, I hope this clears things up.

Best regards,
Nick Bogaty

--
Nick Bogaty