Registration of MIME media type application/pkcs8 (possible resubmit)

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Mon Mar 12 15:51:22 CET 2007

* Dean Willis wrote:
>I'm working through a PROTO writeup on:
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-certs-03.txt
>
>which contains the following MIME type registration.

>    Encoding considerations: The PKCS#8 object inside this MIME type
>                             MUST be DER-encoded.
>
>                             This MIME type was designed for use with
>                             protocols which can carry binary-encoded
>                             data. Protocols which do not carry binary
>                             data (which have line length or
>                             character-set restrictions for example)
>                             MUST use a reversible transfer encoding
>                             (such as base64) to carry this MIME type.
>                             Protocols that carry binary data SHOULD
>                             use a transfer encoding of "binary".

As I read RFC 4288, this should say 7bit, 8bit, binary, or framed, not
you have there now.

>    Security considerations: Carries a cryptographic private key

Is that all that can be said here? For example, doesn't the format
specification have security considerations that could be referenced?

>    Interoperability considerations: None
>
>    Published specification:
>         RSA Laboratories, "Private-Key Information Syntax Standard,
>         Version 1.2", PKCS 8, November 1993.
>
>    Applications which use this media type: Any MIME-compliant transport

I think this should say what kind of applications use this type, like,
mail user agents, bitmap graphic editing software, or web browsers.