Registration of MIME media type application/pkcs8 (possible resubmit)

Dean Willis dean.willis at softarmor.com
Thu Mar 8 01:05:59 CET 2007

It's possible that this has been previously brought to this list --
if so, please slap me around appropriately and point me at the
review. I was unable to locate it in the mailing list archives.

I'm working through a PROTO writeup on:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-certs-03.txt

which contains the following MIME type registration.

---------

    Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/pkcs8

    MIME media type name: application

    MIME subtype name: pkcs8

    Required parameters: None

    Optional parameters: None

    Encoding considerations: The PKCS#8 object inside this MIME type
                             MUST be DER-encoded.

                             This MIME type was designed for use with
                             protocols which can carry binary-encoded
                             data. Protocols which do not carry binary
                             data (which have line length or
                             character-set restrictions for example)
                             MUST use a reversible transfer encoding
                             (such as base64) to carry this MIME type.
                             Protocols that carry binary data SHOULD
                             use a transfer encoding of "binary".

    Security considerations: Carries a cryptographic private key

    Interoperability considerations: None

    Published specification:
         RSA Laboratories, "Private-Key Information Syntax Standard,
         Version 1.2", PKCS 8, November 1993.

    Applications which use this media type: Any MIME-compliant transport

    Additional information:
      Magic number(s): None
      File extension(s): .p8
      Macintosh File Type Code(s): none

    Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Cullen Jennings <fluffy at cisco.com>

    Intended usage: COMMON

    Author/Change controller:
      the IESG