Review requested for MusicXML media type proposals

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Fri Jun 8 05:05:21 CEST 2007

* Mark Baker wrote:
>Where is the specification for MusicXML?  The template references a
>DTD in the specification section, but it seems to be just a DTD, not a
>spec.  I can't find any other spec for it on the site either.

Of course a published specification is not necessary for vendor tree
registrations, and the proposed registration documents say it is "to
be published".

>The XML format will need its own file extension.  Reusing ".xml" is
>unsuitable because it is commonly bound to the application/xml,
>text/xml, or text/rss media types.  Consult http://filext.com to find
>a suitable one.

There are many formats that re-use application/xml and there are many
+xml formats that cite or otherwise use .xml as appropriate extension.
There is no actual need for a separate file extension. If .xml is what
applications and documents use now, that's what should be registered.