Media types for RDF languages N3 and Turtle

Garret Wilson garret at globalmentor.com
Mon Dec 31 03:10:08 CET 2007

Just to make the picture a bit darker, I've realized that RFC 2616 for
HTTP 1.1 is relevant.

The good news: RFC 2616 section 3.7.1 says that, if text/* types are
sent across HTTP, the CRLF requirement is relaxed and bare CRs and LFs
are allowed. Good--that's what we wanted to do, anyway.

The bad news: The same section says that if a text/* type is sent across
HTTP with no charset parameter, it defaults to ISO-8859-1. This is nasty
stuff, which is in part probably why application/xhtml+xml was chosen
over text/xhtml+xml, the latter of which would *always* require a
charset=utf-8 parameter.

This is really heartbreaking. The same concerns appear: are we really
going to build our future on ISO-8859-1 defaults? Soon no one is going
to be shipping ISO-8859-1 text across the wire---and of what use will be
the RFC 2616 default?

Whatever we choose here, I'm sure that Firefox and IE will implement it
differently...

Garret