Request for review of Turtle (an RDF serialization) media type: text/turtle

Felix Sasaki fsasaki at w3.org
Thu Dec 20 01:50:53 CET 2007

James Cloos wrote:

> Eric> Encoding considerations:
> Eric>   The syntax of Turtle is expressed over code points in
> Eric>   Unicode[UNICODE].  The encoding is always UTF-8 [RFC3629]; the
> Eric>   charset parameter is not needed; though it may be included so
> Eric>   long as the value is 'UTF-8'.
>
> Shouldn't the normative reference be to the UCS (ISO 10646) rather than
> to Unicode?  The Universal Character Set is the international standard.

I'm sure Eric knows the explanation below on how to reference Unicode
and / or ISO 10464 ...
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#sec-RefUnicode
see esp. http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#C062
"Since specifications in general need both a definition for their
characters and the semantics associated with these characters,
specifications SHOULD include a reference to the Unicode Standard,
whether or not they include a reference to ISO/IEC 10646."

I think this is applicable also for this case.

Felix