Seeking co-moderators(s) of the ietf-types list

WJCarpenter bill-iana at carpenter.ORG
Mon Jan 24 18:36:07 CET 2005

mb> Perhaps a naive question, but why is this list moderated?

mw> So that we don't have to receive lots of spam. I assume that this

Just so.  It's undesirable to have moderation, but it's pragmatically
necessary.  Because it's an IETF list, Harald bends over backwards to
keep away barriers from posting, invite free discussion, etc.
However, just by the mere fact of having the posting address on
various web sites, it attracts a *lot* of spam.

mw> a lot better than have to wade through the 10+ spam per day that

I long for the "good old days" when spam problems could be described
in single or double digits.  I haven't looked at the numbers lately,
but it's likely the ietf-types "raw feed" is some 3-digit number of
spams per day.  Considering that in the average month there are
probably only a dozen or so legitimate messages, well, you can see the
situation is pretty bad.

So, as noted, subscribers have direct posting rights (no moderation),
and non-subscribers go to an administrator queue.  It's obvious to a
human what's legitimate and what's nonsense, but it's something that
can't yet be turned over completely to automation.
--
bill at carpenter.ORG (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119