Comments on draft-freed-media-types-reg-01.txt

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Wed Oct 27 17:28:41 CEST 2004

I'd also like to see a resolution of this, since we have new RTP
payload formats under development that need MIME types to be assigned,
and it's clear there are different understandings of the rules.

We have two proposed standard RFCs (RFCs 3267 and 3558) which register
the same media type for the RTP Payload Format and for the File Format.
At the time those RFCs were written, the AVT working group considered
them to be the same format (as the data is identical between the file
format and the RTP payload format, with only the framing differing). I
can only assume the that the IESG agreed, since each format was
registered using the same media type name for the two different framing
methods.

It's now clear that Ned (and others) don't regard it appropriate for a
file format and an RTP payload format to use the same media type.

This is a conflict which needs to be resolved, both to clarify the
status of the existing registrations and to make sure that we do the
right thing with the many new RTP payload formats under development. I
don't care which way it's resolved* but the fact that we have this
discussion (and existing practice which conflicts with some
interpretations of the rules) implies that the registration rules need
clarification, and is the reason for my questions.

Colin

* to be clear: I'm not an author on RFC 3267 or 3558, nor do I sell
product based on either, nor am I trying to register a new media type.
I am however the person stuck with having to resolve the conflict
between those two RFCs and the interpretation of the rules I'm hearing
on this list.