Post-facto reporting of media type security considerations

Bruce Lilly blilly at erols.com
Wed Oct 20 16:43:02 CEST 2004

On Mon October 18 2004 23:17, Martin Duerst wrote:
> The new registration procedure for mime types is at
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-media-type-reg-01.txt.

Thanks, Martin; I'll take a look at it.

> P.S.: It seems that our setting of the 'Reply-To' header has
>        prompted the IANA anti-spam system to send its message to
>        the list rather than to you only. Any way, on either your
>        or IANAs side, to avoid that?

Setting Reply-To to point to the list expander mailbox (in
accordance with RFC 822 section 4.4.2) enables responses
to the list w/o requiring respondents to use a reply-to-all
function which would have the effect of sending copies
of responses to IANA (setting Reply-To doesn't prevent
anybody from sending copies anywhere though). It
appears that IANA sends its automated confirmation
notices to the mailbox list in the Reply-To field rather
than to the sender envelope address as recommended by
RFC 3834 (section 4).  It would be nice if IANA would
update its automatic responder to comply with the
RFC 3834 recommendations.  [I'll remail a separate copy
of this to IANA]