Post-facto reporting of media type security considerations

Martin Duerst duerst at w3.org
Tue Oct 19 05:17:34 CEST 2004

The new registration procedure for mime types is at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-media-type-reg-01.txt.
That doesn't seem to do away with the "Comments on Media Type Registrations".
I agree that this section has some problems. The new registration
process also allows registrations directly from standards bodies
outside the IETF (with IESG approval). While for example the W3C
has a better working system for dealing with errata (there is
a link to an errata page from each W3C Recommendation, and
there is even a direct link for the TR page
(http://www.w3.org/TR/#Recommendations)), that may be different
for other standards organizations. Also, there is not necessarily
a guarantee that a request from IANA for an erratum would be
honored, or that the IANA would know how to go about notifying
the right place if they received a comment.

Regards,     Martin.

P.S.: It seems that our setting of the 'Reply-To' header has
       prompted the IANA anti-spam system to send its message to
       the list rather than to you only. Any way, on either your
       or IANAs side, to avoid that?