Registration of media type text/3gpp-tt

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Sat Oct 9 19:47:06 CEST 2004

On 9 Oct 2004, at 17:27, ned.freed at mrochek.com wrote:
> It isn't clear to me that this actually refers to the ietf-types list,
> but perhaps that was stated in some other message. In any case, an
> process that relies on someone on the ietf-types list saying something
> is inherently broken and needs to be fixed.

My original message to the AVT mailing list said:

	In future, as new RTP payload formats are developed, we will require
	expert review of the media type registration as part of the working
	group last call process. Please contact the chairs for guidance on the
	procedure for this review, when you believe your draft is ready for
	working group last call. We will not forward drafts to the IESG for
	publication unless they have received such review.
		[http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg04287.html]

Several weeks later, when Jose asked for guidance on how the review
should be conducted, and if it should occur before or in parallel with
the working group last call, I respond:

	Before the working group last call. You should send a note to the
	<ietf-types at iana.org> mailing list (which was cc'd on much of the
	previous discussion) asking for review of the MIME registration, to
	ensure there are no objections.
		[http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg04520.html]

This is consistent with section 5.1 of
draft-freed-media-type-reg-01.txt, which states that the list is
appropriate for initial community review of media types:

    In all cases notice of a potential media type registration MAY be
    sent to the "ietf-types at iana.org" mailing list for review.  This
    mailing list has been established for the purpose of reviewing
    proposed media and access types.

    The intent of the public posting is to solicit comments and feedback
    on the choice of type/subtype name, the unambiguity of the references
    with respect to versions and external profiling information, and a
    review of any interoperability or security considerations.  The
    submitter may submit a revised registration, or abandon the
    registration completely, at any time.

We place no greater requirement or obligation on this list than does
your document, and as I said in my reply to Jose (and this list)
yesterday "If no comments result after a reasonable time period, so be
it".

Colin