Registration of media type text/3gpp-tt

ned.freed at mrochek.com ned.freed at mrochek.com
Sat Oct 9 18:27:59 CEST 2004

> > > It is more than 2 weeks since I sent this in for consideration.  Could
> > > you please inform me about the status?  I would like to proceed ASAP
> > > with WGLC in AVT but cannot without passing this review.

> > The ietf-types list is for informal media type reviews only.
> > It is not where types are "considered" or "approved".
> > Somtimes people comment on registrations, other times they don't.

> Yes, you are right, "review" is the correct term.

> However, reading the attached email from Colin, I understand that this review
> is 'required' for WGLC.

I'm reminded of an exchange from, I believe, Farmer's _The Riders of the Purple
Wage_:

  Man to God: Sir, I exist!
  God to Man: Quite true, but that creates in me no sense of obligation.

Having a requirement that some other group review something before it can be
passed only makes sense if that other group is in some way obliged to actually
do a review. No such obligation exists in this case, and past experience has
been that such arrangement work badly or not at all in the IETF. This means
that either (a) The absence of any comments needs to be construed as something
akin to a neutral revew or (b) The requirement is specious and needs to be
replaced or abandoned.

> This means that whether this review is "no comments" or there are in fact
> comments, I (we) have to know in order to progress the document.   Specially
> this part (original attached):

> "In future, as new RTP payload formats are developed, we will require expert
> review of the media type registration as part of the working group last call
> process. Please contact the chairs for guidance on the procedure for this
> review, when you believe your draft is ready for working group last call. We
> will not forward drafts to the IESG for publication **unless they have received
> such review.**"

It isn't clear to me that this actually refers to the ietf-types list, but
perhaps that was stated in some other message. In any case, an process that
relies on someone on the ietf-types list saying something is inherently broken
and needs to be fixed.

				Ned