Request for MIME media type Application/Vendor Tree - vnd.3gpp.sms-tl

Larry Masinter LMM at acm.org
Tue Jul 27 18:28:05 CEST 2004

Since this is a vendor-tree media type, review is optional.
However, here are some review comments:

> Published specification :
> ETSI TS 123 040 available at
> (transposition of 3GPP TS 23.040 available at
> http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/)

I had trouble finding the document using this reference.
I put "ETSI TS 123 040" into the form at
http://pda.etsi.org/pda/queryform.asp
and got another query form.

and http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/ leads
you down to
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/23_series/23.040/
which then has 20-30 zip files, but not much clue
as to which one would contain the definition of the
MIME type.

Do you mean 'translation' instead of 'transposition'?
I'm not sure what it means to have a 'transposition' of
a document.

> Applications which use this media :
> Applications that transport and manipulate MIME typed objects
> (messaging, download etc.).
>

> Additional information :
>
> 1. Magic number(s) : n/a
> 2. File extension(s) : .sms-tl
> 3. Macintosh file type code : n/a
> 4. Object Identifiers: n/a
>

> Person to contact for further information :
>
> 1. Name : Olivier Biot
> 2. Email : olivier.biot at siemens.com
>
> Intended usage : Common
> The Short Messaging Service is a very common messaging service available
on
> most mobile networks.
> The registration of the associated MIME type allows a SMS message to be
> delivered independent of the transport network.

Currently, SMS <-> EMail gateways work by translating
to/from text/plain. This works pretty well. Is the
intention to gateway into this MIME type? It would
seem that interoperability might suffer.

> Author/Change controller : Olivier Biot

If this is really 'vnd.3gpp' and not 'vnd.oliver-biot',
wouldn't the 'change controller' be the 3GPP committee?

Regards,

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net