Pre review of 3GPP MIME type for RTP payload format

Larry Masinter LMM at acm.org
Mon Aug 16 08:37:45 CEST 2004

> The problem is that the RTP payload format this defines is capable of
> wrapping any other payload format.

Yes, the 'application' is the 'application as a wrapping technology'.

> As any other payload format
> theoretically has any of the media types, this format needs to handle
> all of the types.

This isn't inconsistent with using 'application'.

> So from my perspective, I don't see a problem with removing "Image" and
> "application" from the registration. The other three are needed.

I think we differ on the meaning of the top level media type. You
imagine that you need to use 'image' when the body is an image,
and I don't think it is necessary at all.

I think it is harmful to register multiple media types when one will
do nicely. It isn't necessary that every MIME label be completely
descriptive of the content, but just that the MIME label contain
sufficient information to find the appropriate reciever.

And, since you can't do anything with the content without decrypting
it, and leaking information about the content is a concern, why not
just use 'application' all the time? Like with ZIP files or PDF files.

Larry