Pre review of 3GPP MIME type for RTP payload format

Magnus Westerlund magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
Fri Aug 13 16:46:34 CEST 2004

Hi Larry,

Thanks for taking a look.

Larry Masinter wrote:

>>MIME media type name: audio, video, text, application, image
>

> 'application' alone makes more sense than registering any
> of the rest.

The problem is that the RTP payload format this defines is capable of
wrapping any other payload format. As any other payload format
theoretically has any of the media types, this format needs to handle
all of the types. Currently there is MUST requirement to handle "audio"
"video" and most likely "text" (depends somewhat on the result of the
timed text discussion). "Application" and "Image" are kind of thrown in
there for completeness. "model" "multipart" and "message" has so far not
made any sense at all for RTP.

It is both RTP and the signalling that puts requirement on the media
type for a wrapper payload format to be the same as what it wraps.
Earlier IETF examples of this are the type audio/parityfec that are also
registered in video, text.

So from my perspective, I don't see a problem with removing "Image" and
"application" from the registration. The other three are needed.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com