Media Types in 3GPP Timed text draft (was: RE: [AVT] RTP andMedia Types)

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Fri Aug 13 12:22:28 CEST 2004

On 12 Aug 2004, at 17:30, Jose Rey wrote:
> Dave, Magnus
>
> --cut--
>>>
>>> As I said in my previous email, registering under 'text' top level
>>> type would mean that the modifiers cannot be used.
>>
>> why is that true?  does text/* only admit of plain text?  so, for
>> example, text/html would not be permitted either??
>>

> This is what I understand from the slides from Colin presented during
> the
> meeting (see in http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~csp/IETF60-AVT-Tue.zip,
> "09-RTP-Media-Types.pdf"). Specially slide three where it says:
>
> ". In particular, it is expected that text media types are "to some
> extent readable even without the software that interprets them"
> - RFC 2046
> - This rule is derived from email client behaviour; want to pass the
> message
> to a dumb pager if there's no better display option"
>
> Colin or Magnus may please correct me if I got it wrong...

The slides you quote are my interpretation of the traditional rules for
media under the "text" top level type. As you know, there has been some
discussion on relaxing these rules for media types with limited domain
of applicability. The RTP Payload Format for 3GPP timed text might fall
into this new category. Accordingly, we have this MIME review to decide
if the format should be "text" or "video".

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/