Media Types in 3GPP Timed text draft (was: RE: [AVT] RTP andMedia Types)

Jose Rey rey at panasonic.de
Thu Aug 12 18:30:50 CEST 2004

Dave, Magnus

--cut--

> >As I said in my previous email, registering under 'text' top level type
> >would mean that the modifiers cannot be used.
>
> why is that true?  does text/* only admit of plain text?  so, for
> example, text/html would not be permitted either??

This is what I understand from the slides from Colin presented during the
meeting (see in http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~csp/IETF60-AVT-Tue.zip,
"09-RTP-Media-Types.pdf"). Specially slide three where it says:

". In particular, it is expected that text media types are "to some
extent readable even without the software that interprets them"
- RFC 2046
- This rule is derived from email client behaviour; want to pass the message
to a dumb pager if there's no better display option"

Colin or Magnus may please correct me if I got it wrong...

Jose