Internet draft for sbml+xml media type

Ben Kovitz bkovitz at caltech.edu
Tue Oct 14 23:07:02 CEST 2003

Regarding:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sbml-media-type-00.txt

Ben Morrow wrote:

> Would it not be advantageous to have 'level' and 'version'
> parameters, for situations where the SBML entity will need to
> be retrieved and a user-agent will need to decide if it would
> be able to process it?

Back on July 6, Mark Baker suggested:

  In my observation, these rarely work out as extensibility
  mechanisms.  text/html used to have one ("level"), and it
  wasn't used, so wasn't included in RFC 2854.
  application/xhtml+xml has one ("profile"), but it's there for
  a single purpose only; to help WAP apps distinguish between
  XHTML Basic and XHTML 1.0.  I'm not aware of anybody using it
  for other reasons.

  You might want to consider whether prescribing sufficiently
  extensible processing behaviour - such that "higher level"
  (more complex) content may be properly processed by a "lower
  level" processor - would be adequate for your needs.

  http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/2003-July/000071.html

Since 'level' and 'version' are already in the XML schema, I'm
thinking that lower-level processors will be able to read
higher-level documents, or at least know what to ignore.

Does anyone know of any other problems with leaving 'level' and
'version' out of the MIME header, beyond the wasted bandwidth of
downloading an XML document only to find that the user agent
can't deal with it?  Admittedly, some of these SBML models are
well into the megabytes, and no one knows what the future will
bring.

Ben Kovitz
Caltech
bkovitz at caltech.edu