proposed media type registration: application/voicexml+xml

MURATA Makoto murata at hokkaido.email.ne.jp
Fri Dec 19 16:20:01 CET 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:30:44 -0500
Martin Duerst <duerst at w3.org> wrote:

> There is some work starting on updating RFC 3023, and we hope that
> we can use it to document the issues and questions that have
> come up on the list. Chris has volunteered to coauthor, and I'll
> help from the sidelines. Probably having all the information together
> in one place, is better than having some of the information separated out.

As a co-author, I also agree to add some guidelines for the omission of the
charset parameter.  Chris and I will start this work shortly.

When a media type uses UTF-8 only, I can agree to omit the charset
parameter. "UTF-8" is already a recommended policy
(http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#sec-UniqueEncoding).  I do not see strong
reasons to specify charset="utf-8" always.  However, even in this case, I
am sympathetic to Martin's worry ("we start to get into a patchwork").
In all other cases, I do not want to allow omission of the charset
parameter.  How do others feel?

By the way, "The Standard Hex Format" uses UTF-8 only.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-strombergson-shf-00.txt

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata at hokkaido.email.ne.jp>